Caters Real Life

Share this story with friends and family:

Pesky pooch was hours from death after swallowing a sewing needle

Here’s the pesky pooch who was hours from death after swallowing a sewing needle.

The X-Ray showing the  sewing needle Broxi had swallowed

The X-Ray showing the sewing needle Broxi had swallowed

 

Shih Tzu-pug cross, Broxi, has almost died two months ago and has now finally recovered after he perforated his bowl when leaping up and swallowing the sharp needle.

Broxi needed vital life-saving surgery, lasting two hours, to remove the dangerous one-and-a-half-inch object.

The one-year-old pup is now back home recovering with owner Veronica Smart, 69, from Macduff, Aberdeenshire.

Concerned Veronica is now urging others to keep an eye on their beloved pets to make sure they’re not up to any mischief.

Retired Veronica, a former care assistant said: “I’m so pleased Broxi pulled through, he’s my world.

“I couldn’t believe it when the vet said if I’d left it even just a few hours longer he could’ve died after the needle punctured his bowel.

“He’s always up to no good and keeping me on my toes but this time he took it a step further.

“I was putting in my contact lenses when Broxi jumped up onto the side and before I knew what was happening he grabbed the needle and thread and just gobbled it up.

“He grabs everything in sight and usually I can stop him in time or the objects aren’t as dangerous but the needle was gone within seconds.

“He will eat anything, money from my purse, dish cloths, socks, whatever he can get his paws on.

“I think now though he’s finally learnt his lesson.”

PIC FROM CATERS NEWS - (Pictured: Veronica Smart and dog Broxi who swallowed a sewing needle that perforated his bowel that at one point meant he was hours from death.)  Here's the pesky pooch who was hours from death after swallowing a sewing needle. Shih Tzu-pug cross, Broxi, perforated his bowl after leaping up and swallowing the sharp one-and-a-half-inch object. The one-year-old pup is now back home recovering with owner Veronica Smart, 69, from Macduff, Scotland. Concerned Veronica is now urging others to keep an eye on their beloved pets to make sure they're not up to any mischief. Retired Veronica said: "I'm so pleased Broxi pulled through, he's my world. "I couldn’t believe it when the vet said if I'd left it even just a few hours longer he could've died after the needle punctured his bowel. "He's always up to no good and keeping me on my toes but this time he took it a step further. "I was putting in my contact lenses when Broxi jumped up onto the side and before I knew what was happening he grabbed the needle and thread and just gobbled it up. "He grabs everything in sight and usually I can stop him in time or the objects aren't as dangerous but the needle was gone within seconds. "I think now though he’s finally learnt his lesson." SEE CATERS COPY.

Veronica would be lost without pooch Broxi

 

In the following two days, the usually playful pooch became withdrawn until he was barely moving.

Broxi then started vomiting when worried Veronica rushed him to the vets and paid £631 to have the needle removed.

Veronica said: “As soon as he jumped up onto my dresser I knew he was up to no good, he’s forever pinching things all over the house, I always
have to be extra careful with Broxi around.

“I turned to him to tell him to drop the needle and saw the thread hanging out of his mouth before it disappeared.

“He’s ate so many weird and wonderful household objects in the past that I didn’t think much of it, he’s always been fine.

“But over the weekend his temperament changed completely, usually he wants to play and be the centre of attention but he could barely even sit
up.

“As soon as the vets opened Monday morning I darted straight over there to get him examined after he’d started to be sick as well.

“The vets didn’t initially think much of it until they did an X-ray which showed the needle clear as day inside Broxi.”

Veronica couldn't believe what the X-Ray showed

Veronica couldn’t believe what the X-Ray showed

 

Veronica took Broxi to Bellevue Veterinary Centre in Banff where he had an emergency operation followed by a course of antibiotics.

Veronica said: “I want to thank all of the staff at Bellevue for acting quickly and saving Broxi’s life.

“They told me that Broxi was lucky to be alive and how life threatening his injuries were, I’m just glad I got him to the practice in time.

“Thankfully Broxi has made a full recovery and is as bold as ever, I just have to keep the sewing kit hidden away now, just in case he goes back for more.”

 

Broxi has gone on to make a full recovery

Broxi has gone on to make a full recovery

 

Dr Suzanne Warren, Veterinary Surgeon at Bellevue Veterinary Centre said: “All surgery carries risks, from risk of death under anaesthesia to bleeding and infections.

“Serious infections of the chest and abdominal cavities have a survival rate of around 50%.

“Where possible, we try to assist nature in passing foreign objects naturally, with close monitoring for any sickness or illness.

“Intestines cannot feel pain so vomiting is all we see when intestines are injured.

“Broxi was admitted for xray as soon as he started vomiting, and on seeing the needle, we went to surgery.

“Two vets opened up the intestine where the needle and material it was attached to had become lodged, after travelling through several feet of intestine and nearly making it to the end.

“Broxi recovered well from the op, after a few days of feeling sorry for himself.

“If your dog eats something odd, most often it will pass by itself, but call your vet for advice as every situation is different.”

 

Do you, or someone you know, have a similar story to tell? Get in touch today to earn £££ and raise awareness.

GOT AN AMAZING STORY TO SELL?
TELL US ABOUT IT

Call us on 0800 001 5599
 

Contact Us

WANT TO PURCHASE REAL-LIFE STORIES?

With hundreds of stories to choose from, our writers have the case study you’re looking for.

Contact Us